Climate change is a public health emergency that is harming Americans now. Fossil fuels are driving climate change and increasing the impacts of climate change on our health in the following ways:
- Extreme heat: dehydration, heat stroke
- Severe storms: injuries, displacement and contaminated water
- Degraded air: worsens asthma and heart disease
- Ticks and mosquitoes increase their range: West Nile, Lyme, Zika
- Floods and warm water grow microbes: cholera, paralytic shellfish poisoning, toxic algae
- Depression, anxiety and PTSD due to severe weather and heat
- Heat and drought damage to crops: C02 lowers nutritional value
Children and Older adults are especially vulnerable to harm from climate change. Adults 65 and over make up 16% of the US population, and the nation is growing older. Older adults are expected to outnumber children under age 18 for the first time in US history by 2035. Send a letter now to let your Governor and State Legislators know that climate action is critical.
Elected Officials often say they don’t hear about climate change from their constituents. Let’s change that! Add your personalized message or customize ours. It’s quick and easy!
Enter your address below and click start writing to see our letter template and customize the text.